The Spotsylvania County office of Virginia Cooperative Extension is your local connection to Virginia's land-grant universities, Virginia Tech and Virginia State University.
Through educational programs based on research and developed with input from local stakeholders, we help the people of Spotsylvania County improve their lives.
We provide education through programs in Agriculture and Natural Resources, Family and Consumer Sciences, 4-H Youth Development, and Community Viability.
What's New ...
Practical Beekeeping for Beginners
The Virginia Beekeeping Teaching Consortium (VBTA) is offering Practical Beekeeping for Beginners. The class is intensive, meets once a week for approximately two months and is designed primarily for people who want to keep bees. For more information click here
ServSafe Manager's Course
This is a 16-hour course that includes the book, instruction, test preparation, and a nationally recognized certificate. Please call April Payne at the Extension office for more details if needed.
Class Dates and locations -
- January 6 and 13, 2020 - Stafford, 1739 Jefferson Davis Hwy, 22555
- March 19 and 26, 2020 - Spotsylvania, 8800 Courthouse Road, 22553
- May 14 and 21, 2020 - Stafford
- July 8 and 15, 2020 - Spotsylvania
- September 2 and 9, 2020 - Stafford
- October 28 and November 4, 2020 - Spotsylvania
- February 25, 2020
- May 5, 2020
- June 23, 2020
- August 18, 2020
- December 8, 2020
Food Handler's Class
The ServSafe Food Handler Program is a complete solution that delivers consistent food safety training to employees. The program covers five key areas:
- Basic Food Safety
- Personal Hygiene
- Cross-contamination & Allergens
- Time & Temperature
- Cleaning & Sanitation
4-H Junior Camp
2020 Junior 4-H Camp is June 21-25, 2020 Click here for Brochure
4-H Camp is a fun and exciting way for youth ages 9 to 18 to spend a week away from home. Campers are 9-12 years of age, CIT's are 13 and up, and Counselors are anyone who has completed CIT training through age 18.
The camping program helps youth learn new skills, build self-esteem, and challenges them to be innovative and creative. 4-H Camp is accredited through the American Camping Association and focuses on the 4-H Philosophy of "Learning by Doing".
Registration opens Monday, January 6, 2020.
Early-bird registration is $325 and must be postmarked by Friday, February 14, 2020
Regular registration is $340 and closes May 1, 2020 or when camp is full.
Counselor registration is $275 and payable after interview with 4-H Agent.
Scholarships are available.
2020 Pesticide Courses
All require registration and payment prior to attending class
2020 Commercial Pesticide Preparation Courses Click here for brochure
- CORE - February 4 & 5, 2020
- 3A - February 11 & 12, 2020
- 3B - February 18 & 19, 2020
- Cat 6 - February 20, 2020
- Exams - February 21, 2020
- All February classes and exams are held in the Stafford Extension Office, 1739 Jefferson Davis Hwy, Stafford, VA 22555
2020 Commercial Applicator Recertification Program Click here for brochure
- March 12, 2020 is being held in the Spotsylvania Extension Office, 8800 Courthouse Road, Spotsylvania, VA 22553
Virginia Food Access Network (VFAN)
The Virginia Food Access Network (VFAN) accelerates efforts, connects partners, and shares resources to solve child hunger in Virginia and create nutritious food access for all Virginians.